This is a very easy question for me. I love science. I love everything about it. It is the foundation of society, it is the basis of civilization. Without science we would have nothing. Science to me means this: Why does something happen? How does it happen? What makes it happen? How can I make it happen? It is the art of observation and experimentation. A more formal definition (click here for site) is the observation, identification, description, experimental investigation, and theoretical explanation of phenomena.
How could we not learn science? It is the sole element to our survival. Look around you, everything is science. Everything we have and everything we know is science. Science is life. It is amazing to be able to understand the world around you; to understand why things work the way they do.
I was reading some Question and Answer site under this topic, and most civilians that commented seem to think that science is irrelevant and should not be taught in schools. But don't they see how much they would be hurting themselves if this was allowed to happen? I don't think people in everyday life (not us, of course [: ) realise just how important science is! How could they even think that science is irrelevant; I just don't understand! I believe that science is the most important subject to learn, the one that will help us the most in the future. I think the problem with science in society is that it sometimes contradicts religion. I am not saying that religion is bad, in fact it is very good. It teaches you morals and allows you to believe in something greater than yourself. But don't let religion get in the way of your education in science, like so many people do. Science is too important.
We learn science to broaden our knowledge of the world, of ourselves, of the universe. Without science the wheel would have never been invented, the first boat would have never sailed, medicines would have never cured people. We rely on science in our everyday lives. Every time we get on the bus to go to school, we use science. When we make Mac and Cheese we use science. Even when we tie our shoes we are using science. Science is vital.
Science is my favorite subject. It really makes me motivated to learn and do well when I know that it is such an important subject. I want to become a scientist when i finish college, so you can understand why it means so much to me. I learn science because i love it, and because it interests me. I can understand it. It makes sense to me.
Okay i think i am going to stop now because i am pretty sure i repeated myself about 50 million times. Bye!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Hey Amanda your comment of "Life is Science" is a little extreme but that's just me, I would think that we use science everyday in our life whether it be that we know it our not to understand how, and why things work. I like how you put in about us making Mac and Cheese we use science. That was a funny yet good example.
Wow, you got me thinking. Everything we do is science, or is caused by science. When we breathe, it lets oxygen in to our lungs and releases carbon dioxide (like Melissa said). When we look at things, an image is quickly etched in to our eye's retina and is stored in our brain. Everything we do is science. Which actually kind of brings me back to the change subject. On my blog I sort of said change is everything, and now I'm starting to realize science is too. Science and change have a lot more to do with each other than I thought.
You really thought it out well. I will have to steal some of your ideas (and source them immediately afterwards). I really agree with everything you said and have nothing to add as of now. Like the fact that science is essential. I think I mentioned that in my blog, but you elaborated. Science is essential to advance and even survive! We need to know how to prevent sickness and disaster, otherwise we would eventually fade out of existence. We need to know how things work and why to better understand them and advance in life. I repeat, you did a very good job on this.
Wow you definitley are passionate about science. However I am not sure how tying your shoes is science?
Awesome post Amanda! Couple of things:
1. You're right, science is the most amazing subject, the best, without contradiction (that might have been an opinion in which case, don't let Katie see this!)
2. I loved how you gave us your definition, specifically, "How can I make it happen?". I really liked how you put that 'I' part in there. I think that really brings the point home.
3. When you looked at people's responses, what did that tell you about our society? Without looking at the data, I am going to assume that society in general looks at science as a collection of irrelevent facts and concepts that explain our life and don't do much to further our existence. I think we would both agree that this is entirely wrong but that is my assumption. Hopefully, you will all begin to see, and then society on the greater scale, that science is more than a collection of facts, it is a set of skills, a process in which we try to explain the natural world; then, as you say, we can learn from those things and apply them to change things!
Whoa, this was really deep! Good job! I agree with science is basically everywhere and the Mac & Cheese was a really interesting example!
Post a Comment