Models can help so much in understanding science today. You can't just look at an atom, but you can look at a model of an atom. The universe is way to big to study but with a model, it brings it down to a much more reasonable scale. Models of the heart, brain and other organs have been major contribute rs to medical breakthroughs.
So I was looking for a web page about models for seriously like 2 hours. I found this one that has to do with how Michelangelo prepared to carve his sculptures. He would first make a small sculpture and then from the first one's example he would create the larger one. This really helped the sculptures have precision and grace in the carving and made them look fluid instead of a bunch of rocks with some cuts in them. This really doesn't relate directly with science at all, but i thought it was a good example for how models help solve problems and find out new things about the universe.
See, Michelangelo would have never made the beautiful sculptures he did without first looking to models as a guide. Discoveries about atoms and the universe would have never existed without models of them to help the scientists express their thoughts. Airplanes and spacecraft would be disasters if they were not first tested on a much smaller scale. Models are amazing.
Madelyn mentioned how models help you picture things better. This is true. Instead of having to picture everything in your head, a model helps you organise your thoughts, label parts, and change your ideas. You can have hands on experiences with your thoughts.
Models have changed the world of science forever. It sort of allows scientists to "think" before they act. It also allows them to see things that would otherwise be impossible. Yay for models.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
models are amazing I have to agree, but did you end up reading Melissa's blog before you made your's because hers is the same example as yours with Michaelangelo, I was actually thinking about doing him but I found my link before then, it took me like 50 Google and yahoo searches.
I hope you didn't get too frustrated searching for sites/articles. It sounds like that is the norm though. oh well. I thought your blog post was pretty darn good, It is cool to observe your appreciation and watch it come out in your words. What else constitutes a model? You mentioned that models allow us to not have to picture things in our head, to me, that picture in my head is a model. something to think about!
I like what you said about how we use models as a guide. If we didn't use models I don't think we would have alot of the knowledge we have today. I also like what you (and I guess Marta) said about how models help you organize your thoughts. Well thought out post!
agree with everything you say, models are helpful, let you see stuff you otherwise can't and help you organize
I agree that models are a huge help. I like the Michelangelo example of how he used it as a guide.
Post a Comment