Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Global warming. Do you care about the penguins?

I really am annoyed with the fact that people care about global warming so much. It is seriously just another reason for people to freak everyone out that the world is going to end and that we are all going to die. I personally like to think that if people stop going around and thinking of reasons why the world is going to end, then we would come a lot farther in life. Let's just live without the fear of dieing constantly. That's just my opinion.

Anyway, i admit that the earth might be getting hotter, but whatever, it is just a phase. It is only by like a degree in a hundred years anyway so what's the big point? I can see that if this went on for a long time, it would have a major effect of the environment, but who says it will? The earth will correct itself in due time. Another point is how can you even measure the temperature of the earth? Who says the scientists aren't measuring Antarctica and then measuring at the equator and then comparing the results over the years. Well obviously, it would be getting warmer, Antarctica is cold. The equator is hot. Those are just two places in the world. What about the rest of it?

Mr. Voight was kind enough to tell us some really valid information about this whole "the earth is going to burn up and we are all going to die" issue. He shared with us in class that in the 1930s, people were worried about global warming. In the 1960s, people were spazzing out about global cooling. Well, we are back to global warming. See a pattern? I do. The earth is going to change temperature, it is not a static object. It might go through a period of warming or cooling, but it will correct itself. You would think maybe some of these scientists would notice this pattern and back off too.

I also think that politicians are way to involved in this mess. Just back down and let the scientists handle it, please. But i suppose politicians always need something to complain about. This goes back to the point i made about the world ending. They just want to scare us into voting for them. "IF you vote for me i will solve all the world problems and you will not blow up and die and we will live in a big happy family with no problems. But if you vote for that other guy, global warming will destroy us all. So vote for me, or perish!" No, thank you. Not like I can vote, anyway.

Okay, so the ice caps are melting and the penguins and the polar bears are dying, but don't you think that it'll will all correct itself eventually? If the earth really is going through a phase, then the ice caps will not melt and flood the world, i promise. And evolution did not fail us the first time, why should it fail us now?

I do agree with Melissa on the point that we should still take action, even if global warming is a hoax. Just because we are not going to burn up and die in 10 years does not make it okay that we are polluting the earth. It might not kill us, but it is our home and the only one we've got, and we should take care of it and not treat it like a humongous garbage bin. We should also create better and more efficient machines to save fossil fuels, energy, and time. And for the sake of innovation, let's propel forward to make amazing new technologies. There is nothing wrong with that. Just don't do it because you are scared that global warming is a big scary monster that is going to come and eat us all. Because it is not. I am willing to bet my hand. Or maybe my finger. Or maybe my fingernail.

In Luke's first global warming blog, he expresses fear that if we do not stop this global warming thingy, the earth is going to turn into a planet identical to Mars. I hate to disagree, but i am going to have to disagree. We are not going to be experiencing Mars anytime soon. The earth is not going to shrivel up and die, no matter how many people like to think so. So don't freak out we will still have the earth for a long, long, long, time.

I think i am done now.

Oh yeah, this is totally not serious, but one of my friends thinks global warming is caused by the fact that penguins make too many slushies. Okay. Yeah right. But then again, is this so much more crazy then the idea of global warming itself?

7 comments:

subbu said...

you sound a little angry. I agree with you about taking care of the environment and not polluting the Earth. I also agree that the media has gone overboard with the hype over global warming. But the hype has positive effects. It could be possible that if there wasn't a media hype, people wouldn't be interested at all in helping the environment. The media claims global warming to be extremely bad and even if it may not be true, it is greatly helping the case of using alternative fuels, recycling, saving energy, etc.

Luke VanGeest said...

Hey Amanda I never even said we were going to shrivel up and die, but that's ok I understand what you're trying to say and I do agree with subbu on you negative views on GW, and there are positive effects.

MkM said...

ahahah the whole time i was reading this i could hear you saying it to me. Not that we have heated discussions about BIG ideas, like global warming. Actually its more like what our next months movie theme will be, or how Mrs. Bartol's Odyssey tests will go.
Oh. And all this stuff people are saying about what mr. voight said, was that tuesday. if yes, that just proves my point, karma sucks.

not to stuff people other than you will actually understand: I definately agree with you. See if i was able to talk and make sense [you should see my last blogpost :) ] than this is what i'd say. Your post was basically what i've been thinking about global warming. But subbu also has a good point about hypse having positive affects. i never really thought about that.

Oh. I don't know who it was, but who ever came up with the slushie thing should like win some type of an award! hahaha its definately one of the best GW theories i've heard. <3

amanda said...

hahaha Meghan it was Arielle with the whole slushie idea thing. I know it is pretty amazing.

Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said...

It seems a like you are very opinated,but i'm not sure i agree with your logic. not that i dont agree with you, i do, but it seems a sort of like you dont consider any other opinions.

Adam said...

You wrote a lot there chica. I disagree in that I think global warming exists, but I agree that it is all hyped up. I want the penguins to survive, but to be honest at this point I am more worried about the polar bears. I think the media could be pushing it a little, but hey what if it is real.