Okay. So my mom was watching the American Idol auditions today while i was on my computer, and I was listening to it while i was typing my blogs. I just want to know, do people actually find this part of the show amusing? I love American Idol once the top 24 is picked and they get down to business, but these auditions are just mean. Sure, some people do them just to get on t.v. and draw attention to themselves, but some of these people really think they are good. The judges just sit there and laugh at them. Along with millions of Americans. How can you find this funny? people's dreams are being crushed right before your eyes. This is real, people.
All i have to say is people's idea of humor is sick. Laughing at other people when they are hurt is not right on so many levels. So i want to hear, why is this so funny to you? Or do you agree that it is evil? Because at this point i don't know why people watch this part of the show. It totally confuses me. Where is the compassion? Just because you don't know these poor people does NOT mean they don't have feelings, just like you and me.
So think about this.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
I have no clue. Why do they think it's funny and good entertainment? For those of you who don't know, I do not have a TV and am proud/glad of it. Many of the shows are a complete waste of time. Sorry if I offend any couch potatoes.
i totally agree. My dad was "watching" the end of it waiting for the news, and i realized i had forgotten how much i hated the auditions. I remember i would try to watch them every year because i kept hearing AI was so good. I didn't really think about why i didn't watch it the year before. But every time someone walked into the room i would wish and hope that they were good, cause it killed me when people would laugh at them. I mean i can't get up and sing in front of anybody, and the though of putting myself out there with that confidence only to have millions laugh at me, that would kill me. Seriously, its like: show the good auditions. I get that. BUT, why show the bad ones. I mean they've been filmed and edited already. Why are you showing people crushed on national tv?
ah yes, the top people are way fun to watch though.
:)
ahaha. good job with the no tv thing.seriously thats awesome. BUT: i'll admit. i couldn't live without my GREY'S ANATOMY or my 24 . just ask amanda.... :)
While I too wonder why this show is so popular (even though I watch, mostly becuase nothing else worth watching is on) I don't have the same level of disgust that you seem to. These people know exactly what they are getting in to. I think some of it is an act and they should get a clue when they are obviously not that good but the producers put them through to the TV judges. Of all the thousands of people that audition, these yahoos get through. To me, the pathetic ones aren't that entertaining, I personally would like to see more of the marginal ones and hear the explanations for why they don't make it. We do all have to realize that TV is a big money business and it sells so they will keep doing it.
I do think, if these people are honest, that it demonstrates a valid point worth discussing. Each time a brutal singer gets on, they always say "my family thinks i'm good!" maybe families should stop lying to eachother about their skills. Be honest, you aren't helping that person by lying to them, they might actually believe you and try to go on some contest show and make a fool of themselves.
Ok with laughing at people, yes their are people that seamlessly go up their for attention, and in my opinion most people go up there for that no matter how bad they are. Now I get what you mean by it demeaning to people, but I believe the reason that most people laugh is because they haven't been put in that situation themselves, so it's easier for them to laugh. Although in Simon's case I can understand him giving them criticism, listen to Gordon Ramsey from his show Kitchen Nightmares on BBC America a cuss word comes out of his mouth, every other word.
I agree with Mr. Voight when he said that people know what they're getting in to. I also agree with him about families lying to eachother about how good they are. If you lie to you're kids or parents, even if it's something as small as "oh that's cute" when it's not. Someday it will hurt the person you're lying to. One of my friends used to think she was the best singer ever and then someone told her she wasn't. All her friends (me included) had told her that she was good when she really wasn't. I learned then that it's not worth lying to someone to protect them because when someone tells them the truth their dreams are shattered and it's a much bigger deal.
As for the whole american idol show, I think it's great that people can get up and try to fulfill their dream, I just wish we didn't have to watch it.
(i especially hate the stories about people selling things so they could audition and then they don't make it.)
I agree with troyboy. I understand that TV has its place and that it is a great way to communicate with the masses, and some of the showes are quite good, but sometimes I feel like we are watching other people fulfill their dreams rather than chsaing our own. Are we really that bored that watching hours of pointless TV is the only possible thing we could think of to do?
I think that it is funny. From what you are saying you have never made fun of anyone behind their back or laughed at what somebody wears one day. These are the same thing. No offense but I don't believe that you have never done any of these things so therefor you really shouldn't be saying that, it would make you a hypocrite.
Okay people do laugh behind other peoples back, and yeah, i admit that i have before. I don't think that makes me a hypocrite though, because i can admit that it is wrong. I didn't say that people should stop watching the show, i just wanted to know why it was funny to them. I personally don't think people failing at something they love is hilarious, but I guess it's fine if you do.
Seriously I HATE American Idol. People are always like, "Oh my gawd! Did you watch him like totally like rip his singing apart like. Simon Cowell is like sooooo cool." GUYS NO! People have feelings! Even if their singing is TERRIBLE you shouldn't tell them that they will never get anywhere in life. That show makes me sad
I really agree with you. After today's class discussion I think its really sad that they pick the best and the worst singers for TV auditions just so the worst singers can get crushed and laughed at by the judges on national television just for someone's evening entertainment.
about dominiques comment. they are not telling people they have no future, they are just saying they have no future in singing. and showbiz is a harsh career choice. we can't all be winners. and hey, the world needs ditch diggers too.
Post a Comment